Game Design

After spending some time reading the readings about what a game is and what are the elements involved that make a game a game, I realised I have never really asked myself what actually is a game and have just assumed that I knew what games are and what the world surrounding games are like.

What is a Game?
http://gamedevelopertips.com/what-is-a-game-made-of-definition-of-a-game/


The first reading was about explaining what a game actually is and what it isn't. While mentioned in the reading, I also came to the conclusion that it is much harder to explain what a game is and that no one can really decide as a collective what a game is. It discussed that games need to have rules, goals, be safe, conflict along with countless other "necessities". Explaining that games have rules, goals and safety are things that I found to come into conflict with each other. I began to think for myself what a game is and to try form my own definition. When referring to games require a final outcome, it began to ask does that make role-playing games games as they can stretch on for as long as the player wants with not definite outcome or end. But does a game actually need to have an outcome, I asked myself. Is the goal of a role-playing game to let the player decide what final outcome is or if there will be one thus making that decision be an outcome in of itself.
I also began to question phrases that we use throughout our lives like "let the games begin" possibly being used when there is a quarrel between to people. Does that make their situation a game? Their life a game? But there might be no rules, it might not be safe, it might not even be voluntary. It was very thought-provoking and I questioned a lot.

With regards to the second reading, whenever hearing the phrase game design I alway assumed that was the name given to anyone involved in making a game. Knowing that game developer is the overall term and that game designer is a certain sub-category responsible for the rules and content of the game is something that, I think, will help people get over their fear of game developing as not every aspect of development involves programming and using computers. I thought it was really interesting how game designers described themselves when trying to explain their occupation to non-game designers. Some described themselves as gods and maybe they aren't incorrect as in the games self contained world they are. Some described themselves as artists and "normal people" may not describe a game designer as an artist. Art, just like game design/development is a very broad subject. Most people would think of an artist as someone who paints pictures. Is a game designer any different? When you look at a painting you feel something and the same thing happens when you play a game regardless of what the emotion is. Anything that evokes an emotion is art which makes game designers artists.

So You're going to make a game for the very first time?
https://gamasutra.com/blogs/LewisPulsipher/20110516/7453/So_Youre_Going_To_Make_A_Game_For_The_Very_First_Time.php

I really enjoyed this read as it nicely summarises what to do and what not to do if your are someone who is just starting to get involved in game development. It is not a long read so you won't find yourself zoning out halfway through the read, forgetting most of what as been said.









Comments

  1. Hi Sean, I really enjoyed reading your blog on 'Game Design'. While I was reading it i realised you know what your talking about and I can tell you enjoyed reading about game designing. What I enjoyed about your blog was the great english you used to talk about what you've learnt. Also, I can tell you read over your work and looked out for spelling mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean,

    I really like some of the analogies you used when describing game design and how things in real life may also be seen as a game. From reading your post you can tell that you learned a lot as you went on and put a lot of thought into game design itself. The final link you added was also really helpful for beginners like ourselves. Great job on the blog overall!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Sean,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog I feel like most people did not know how to describe what a game is until reading the readings I like that you summarised the game design readings and made it easier to read I feel like you understood the reading really well and explained game design really well also anyway I hope to read more of your blogs soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sean,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. As someone who played games since they were 4 years old, I also never thought about what games either ! I like how you summarized the reading cause I'm gotta be honest here: I don't remember that reading at all !

    Can't wait to read your blog again in the future !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sean, I really enjoyed reading through your blog post and your whole blog in general.
    It is easy to say that you know a game but to actually know what a game is and the definition behind it is a different story.
    You summarised the reading well and gave it a good description.
    I also never thought about the quote 'let the games begin' until you just mentioned it there in your blog post, it is easy to see that you looked into this idea a good bit and clearly know what you are talking about. Its always good to know what you are doing before actually going ahead and starting it. I feel like I know you have a good knowledge on the whole concept of a game and this will make it a lot easier for you to do now that you know what you are doing.
    Best of luck with your game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sean,

    I also realised that I have never asked myself “what is a game?” I just assumed I knew the whole time but I was wrong in some of my assumptions. I found it nice to know that “game design” isn’t only about programming and using computers. My mind was put at ease when I found out there was other aspects to “game design” that didn’t just involve them two things.

    I look forward to reading some of your future blogs on game design.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sean,

    This post was well written and I like that you didn't just talk about the readings themselves but how they made you think and what you though about, like how if two people fight does that make it a game. It was very interesting to read and had me thinking. 

    - Casper :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the next multi-millionaire

Unity Tutorial 02